Friday, January 15, 2010

Is it too much to ask???

WARNING: I am venting. I am not waging war or declaring intent to change the world. Just venting.


Is it really too much to ask that someone who's meeting you for the first time make the tiniest investment in creativity to ask you to do something besides... come visit at his house?

I have had it with this dating era! FIRST of all... I don't know anywhere else to meet new guys but online. Heaven knows there aren't any single men within ten years of my age range in my ward. I tried the singles ward and it too was void of potential... mostly 22 year olds. I don't work, and my married friends have said they don't really know anyone. So I'm left with the internet dating. FINE.

What is annoying me so much is that recently I can't find a guy online who will actually ask me out on a DATE. Nope. They won't even come over and pick me up to meet them. It's always, "why don't you drive out here to see me Heidi?" "Don't you want to come over and cuddle with me Heidi?" "Come over and 'hang out' with me Heidi." Come on!
Don't get me wrong, I don't mind cuddling, driving to see someone or even hanging out once in a while, but for Pete's sake, does it have to be the ONLY thing you can think of to do on a first date! And why couldn't they get in their car to come and see ME??? Am I the only one with a working vehicle? There's a bus...


I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but sitting around watching an un-showered, un-groomed man playing video games is not my idea of a good time.
I understand that the economy sucks. I understand men don't want to make a huge (one date's worth) financial investment in a woman that they aren't sure they even like yet. I'm even okay with all of that. So what about a cheap or free activity???

I'm asking you, Where is the creativity? I don't mean that we should aim for the marathon dates of days past in high school where you had to plan for weeks to find some cutesy way to ask someone out with some sort of irritating poem attached to a a shred of paper mixed into a big box full of blank shreds of paper. That would annoy me just as much.

What I was hoping is that a single man might have enough brain cells to rub together that he could think of something cheep or even free to do. An activity that doesn't involve his couch!

I have some ideas... How about a snowball fight, or sledding or making a snow man.
What about playing a board game and eating a bag of chips.
There's always the traditional "go for a walk idea."
And truth be told, there are plenty of art exhibits in the city that are cheap if not free to visit.
If he's not sure how much time he wants to spend with me, (for instance, if he meets me and instantly decides I'm not his type) Then there is always inviting me to meet him for a cup of hot chocolate. It's cheap, and if he has me meet him somewhere to get it he doesn't even have to drive me home afterwards. Brilliant.
But no. I am bombarded with suitors who only want to get physical. They're not interested in finding out if I might have so much more to offer than that alone. SIGH....
I'm going to go drink a cup of hot chocolate... by myself.

5 comments:

Apryle Moss said...

I am so sorry you have to deal with all this dating junk. Guys as they get older tend to get a little lazy unfortunately. Well guess what there is a single guy in my ward. He has been married and divorced and he has a 8 yr. old daughter. He is 33 I think and he is my home teacher. If you are interested I will see if I can get you a date or something. I don't know I know you just get tired of the whole dating thing, but hey we can always give it a try. Let me know and next time I see him I will see if he is interested in dating. Let me know. Talk to you later.

Sieler-Lindsay Family said...

Love it! You should be a columnist not a graphic designer (which you do well at too!) !!!

My theory is that video games have robbed and drained brain cells!

Debbie

Andrea Hardman said...

I LOVE this post. It does read like a column! The photos were perfect and fun and I liked the writing style. Plus, it was very persuasive. I wanted to kick some man-fanny and make them shape up! Love you!

Craig And Kerri said...

I'd leave a comment......but all this talk of kicking some man-fanny has got me a little scared!!
good luck with the man hunt..

RJ, Shanna And Zach said...

Hi kid, I love the column thought. You are just as much fun to read about as you are to talk to in person.

I have to come to utah in February. If your not to cool to have a hang out with you over the hill Uncle date I would love to ask you on one. Around the week-end of the 12th. I would e-mail you but I dont have it on my ne PC. send me an email @ Rupert.Lindsay@imail.org please so I can put it in my Out look file. OK

Love Uncle R.J.

Does anyone Blog anymore?

You see a lot of ads about making money using a blog, but I don't have close friends who are blogging anymore. That is why I am just g...