Tuesday, April 12, 2011

"Constructive Criticism"

I'm a bit bugged today by one of my over opinionated co-workers. She just got divorced... actually it's not final yet, but she is dating like a fiend... Anyway, she has decided that she needs to give me advice about why I am not dating or married.

She sent me a series of skype messages today at work with a disclaimer that she was giving constructive criticism. She told me how I dress ugly and that I don't do my hair nice and my make up habits are terrible. I did not solicit this advice! I am aware that I don't look my best this past year or two... I'm just trying to survive. My self esteem is, its true, at one of it's lowest points ever, but that doesn't mean you have to reinforce my negative beliefs. Yes, I am the only one who can change it, but you don't need to make that harder for me than it needs to be. Aarg!

She made me feel like I look like this
or like this:
I'm trying to just shake it off my shoulders and know that this is just her personality and the way she expresses herself. There are many people out there who take it upon themselves to tell everyone else what they're doing wrong. I know she means no harm... it's just hurtful and I needed to vent.

Here's what I look like for real. Yes, I removed (photoshoped) 3 stupid zits. My face has been breaking out non stop for the past 5 years. Anyway, there you go. I needed to vent for a sec.

6 comments:

Care said...

Tell her to shove it. Really, do. Really.

Jason and Kerri Allen said...

What in the world? I think you are so gorgeous. (I laughed that you removed your zits via photoshop.) I am so sorry she made you feel like that. I just think the world of you and she just doesn't get you, but I am sorry you felt bad. Pay her no mind what-so-ever!
Love ya!
Kerri

Stephanie said...

Heidi, you are the cutest EVER!!! I get so sick of the world we live in sometimes--a world in which so much emphasis is placed on our outward appearance and NO attention is paid to character. "Pretty is as pretty does" is what I believe! You are one of the most beautiful people I know, Heidi. You're a wonderful and true friend and amazing person. Don't ever forget who you are and that you are a daughter of God. He is always mindful of you and loves you!!! I do, too! I understand what it means to be in survival mode. I've been in it, myself, this past half-year (at least!)

Did you know, by the way, that I'll be in Utah for two months this summer?! We're coming back for a summer internship and will be living in Provo. I would love to see you while I'm here! Maybe we can get ourselves a makeover at the mall (LOL!) or do something really fun and pampering. In the meantime, hang in there and spend as much time as you can with people who build you up. I feel sorry for your co-worker. She obviously has some big problems of her own!!!

Apryle Moss said...

I can't believe people can be like that. I think that you are beautiful and you shouldn't listen to what other people say. Hopefully she didn't get you down to much.

Sandy N said...

whata witch!!!! grrr! some stupid people! i remember I used to have a Coworker like that too. I remember when I was prwgnant with Lindsay that she told me that in India they believe thatif you are having a girl then youare beautiful and your skin is glowing and you just look pretty. then she said so I think you (me) must be having a boy. lol she also asked me if i was pregnant numerous times when I wasnt. Then proceeded to tell me I was gaining alot of weight. I could go on and on, but I wont. You are a beautiful CLASSY woman... love you.

Heidi L Barber said...

Thank you everyone! I feel better this week. Goofy coworker. Oh well, what-ever!

Does anyone Blog anymore?

You see a lot of ads about making money using a blog, but I don't have close friends who are blogging anymore. That is why I am just g...