Friday, March 28, 2008

Coconut Soup is SO yummy!


Oh my... I have found a new delight! When I was in New York, I ate at a Thai restraunt called Pongsri. I was absolutely enthralled with the coconut soup so the other day I got online and found a recipie for it. Naturally, I didn't follow the instructions. But I ended up with a delicious dinner.
Ingredients:
26 oz canned coconut milk
1 chicken breast (cut into bite size pieces)
3 green onions, chopped up
a couple of handfuls of yellow onion sliced into rings or chunks (your choice)
a few handfuls of bean sprouts
about 1/8 cup of fresh cilantro leaves, coarsley chopped
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice (I like lime so I put in 4)
2 cups of beef or chicken broth (I didn't have chicken broth so I used beef)
1 little serano pepper, seeded and sliced into thin strips (the recipie called for like 7 of these)
A couple slices of fresh ginger root
The recipe also called for lemongrass stalk or root or something that I couldn't find at the grocery store so I added an extra tsp of lemon juice to the mix. It also called for 2 tablespoons of fish sauce, which, when I found it in the grocery store and discovered that it is squished up anchovies, I decided to omit it from my brew. :D
Directions:
In a medium saucepan cook your bite size chicken bits. Season with lemon pepper if desired. Remove from pan and set aside.
Pour in beef/chicken broth.
Add bean sprouts, green and yellow onion, serano pepper and whatever other vegetables you feel like. I was thinking, some chopped celery would go real well in it.
Oh...don't forget the ginger and lemon and lime juice. (pretty much everything but the coconut milk and the chicken)
simmer for about 10 minutes.
Now pour in the coconut milk and add the chicken. Simmer but do not boil for another 5 to 10 minutes. Add a little accent of fresh cilantro to the top if you feel all fancy and stuff.
Now it's ready to do fabulous things to your mouth! Hope you enjoy this as much as I did! I claim NO responsibility for any injuries resulting from following my unconventional recipes and/or cooking methods!!!!

3 comments:

Apryle Moss said...

Hey Heidi,
Sounds good. If I feel ambitious one of these days maybe I will try it. Hey I hope all is going well for you. I want to get together sometime when you are down. Please call me I would love to do something.

Stephanie said...

I have GOT to try this recipe because, number one: Cory LOVES coconut and nuber two: it sounds so absolutely gourmet! Fun! I'm impressed that you are such a fabulous chef that you can divert from such a recipe (I'm too scared to do that most of the time). Anyhow, good luck on your (was it English?) test! And have a fabulous weekend! Thanks for reminding me about Ape's b-day, too. The funny thing is, after you wrote that in your comment on my blog, she was the next one to comment! So, you will get the credit (rightly so) for my remembering her birthday (if I actually do. I still have a day to forget.) I'm glad you mentioned it, though. Just for the record, I'm pretty sure your bday is in May.... but will you remind me for the bazillionth time what day and I will trytrytry to remember it?! LOL. :-)

Andrea Hardman said...

Oh. That sounds very hard. I was hoping for something more like, buy the coconut juice and put it in a can of Chicken noodle soup. No such luck! Love you!
Andrea

Does anyone Blog anymore?

You see a lot of ads about making money using a blog, but I don't have close friends who are blogging anymore. That is why I am just g...