Wednesday, April 15, 2009

This just proves I'm strange

So today as I was walking across campus dodging mutilated worms on the sidewalk and this thought popped into my head;

"Would I even recognize a worm heart if I saw one?" lol.

I suppose I should explain...

I was having a random conversation recently about cutting worms in half and why both ends still live when you do it. We were talking about how worms have a heart in both sides of their body and they can reproduce the rest of their body.

Ha ha. I got curious about that, so today I took a short break from homework and looked up what ACTUALLY happens to a worm when you cut it in half. Really only one side lives... That's the side with the hearts. (They have 5).
Anyway, the tail moves away because this is an evolutionary defense mechanism to get predators to hopefully eat the tail instead of the head.

The worm can re-grow a tail.

All this time I thought that both sides went on living. Now I feel educated! This is going to change my day to day life. The world is going to be different now. ;)

Just kidding. Okay, well I suppose I don't have an excuse to be playing around right now... I better get back to work on my school projects.

2 comments:

Andrea Hardman said...

I knew worms only grew back on one side. Makes me feel kind of guilty about all the worms we used to chop up into small pieces when we were kids because, "They all grow back!" We were just creating new worms. Oh well. Good luck on school work.

Michaelangelo said...

I learn something new every day. Seriously, I had never heard the truth about that worm myth. Thanks for the enlightenment. Cadence brought me a worm yesterday. He loves them. Gross!

Does anyone Blog anymore?

You see a lot of ads about making money using a blog, but I don't have close friends who are blogging anymore. That is why I am just g...