Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Too Funny! Had to share

I’m going to presume this is a male. ‘He’ has the look of a long long married man. Tense, lips drawn in tight, eyes bulging, face turning green and ready to croak. Yep, that’s the look you get after 30 years when you marry Miss Right before learning her first name is Always.
His lifestyle might look cool, clean and tranquil but he still eats bugs. I guess that’s expected since he grow up with pond scum.

Help is available if you can’t think of a comment.
Stare into those eyes and relax. Relax. Reach deep inside yourself and find your inner frog.

_________________________________________________________________

HA HA HA!!! I did not write that. I actually found it on someone elses blog and I just HAD to share it! The original was at http://wiseacre-gardens.com/wordpress/dragonfly-vs-frog/ to give credit where credit is due.

Onto another subject... Recently my friend Seeg, (pardon the nickname) was talking about a dilemma in her home about whether or not she wanted her daughter having those fairytale princesses as idols or not. Well this may have nothing to do with that, but it got me thinking.

I never see the women in my immediate neighborhood doing any sort of yard work. Never mowing lawns, shoveling snow, pulling weeds, trimming trees... none of that. Now I'm not sure that this is a rule or just something where I never happened to be out doing my yardwork at the same time as they are. But if it is as I suspect, women here look down on assertiveness regarding yardwork and other things.


When I first moved here many many moons ago I was still in high school. I remember trying to ask someone out on a date and having the girls around me look at me like it was something strange. The only time they asked the boys out was on the girls choice dance. It just wasn't done...

I feel like the same attitude is being transferred into yard work, careers, etc. And I thought to myself, what kind of an example is that to our young women and girls? I think of the women who settled this area back in the 1850s. Heaven knows they didn't wait around for a man to do all the yard work, crops, etc.

Anyway, this has been on my mind and I had to put it out there in a public form because it wouldn't leave me be. Certainly I don't subscribe to the other extreme feminist view that (gruff tone) "women should do everything themselves! Men are useless slobs!" No not at all. I just think that women should be able to do the asking out or the yard work on occasion without being looked upon as less feminine or unclassy.

What do you think about it?

4 comments:

Andrea Hardman said...

I agree. One of the people I most respect and love is our Aunt Julie. She has been very self sufficient for as long as we've been alive. If she wanted a porch put in, or a rock wall, or some electic work, she did it. If she didn't know how, she found out. Inspirational.

MommaM said...

I agree too. Since buying my house, I have found my husband is a little less than handy around here. ;) So, I have taken it upon myself to search the internet, or ask my father in law to teach me how to do things around here. I also shoveled the snow the other day. :P

Women should be able to do these things if they want to. I find it liberating to not HAVE to depend on my husband for everything.

alish

Apryle Moss said...

I completely agree. They must have husbands or men in there lives that are always doing what the wife wants. If I wait it never gets done. So needless to say I think that we all should pitch in and do the dirty work not that I love it. because I really don't. I am not the yard work kind of person, but if I want something done I have to do it other wise it doesn't get done for years and years because some certain person is always to busy to do it. Asking a guy out is way to out there J/K. I keep telling my 19 yr. old niece that she needs to asks guys out up at college. She is just a big chicken. That is her problem. Hope I didn't babble on way to long. Talk to you later

Michaelangelo said...

Gosh if doing yard work and house chores makes you too masculine I should have a 12 foot long beard by now! The way I figure it, my hubby is gone all day earning a living to support our family-- the last thing I want him to do when he gets home is yard work or maintenance projects. He needs time to relax and play too... so I do what I can while he's gone. Go women workers!

Does anyone Blog anymore?

You see a lot of ads about making money using a blog, but I don't have close friends who are blogging anymore. That is why I am just g...