Friday, June 6, 2008

Monks and Mountains Mixed


I am back from the Monastery. That would be the Grand-Saint-Bernard Hospice. It is this hospice HIGH in the alps that was founded by a monk named Saint Bernard who was moved upon by the suffering of travelers crossing the Alps from Italy or the other way around. So he built the monastery and bred the dogs specially to dig through deep snow and scent out people buried in avalanches and such.

We had to snowshoe up there up this incredibly steep mountain. I thought they were kidding when they pointed out which way we were going... but no. We went straight up the side of a snow and ice covered mountain. I swear I almost died! It was pretty bad. Anyway, there are people waiting for this computer so I can't keep typing right now, but I will try to send some more info soon! Miss everyone!

The picture is of me with the guards at the border of Italy. They thought it was pretty funny that I am from Utah. Not sure why. Whatever they said about it was in Italian and I sure didn't understand it. But hey, they were funny.

Anyhow, I have to run, but I will put up more info real soon!!!

Heidi

1 comment:

Apryle Moss said...

Heidi, I am glad you are not dead. Sounds like you got yourself a good workout program to while you are there. Man I couldn't even imagine snowshoeing up the Alps. I hope you have a wonderful time the rest of the time. I am glad to hear from you. Talk to you later.

Does anyone Blog anymore?

You see a lot of ads about making money using a blog, but I don't have close friends who are blogging anymore. That is why I am just g...